We're always looking for a healthy cookie for our kids and ourselves. Right. Well, here is a tried and true recipe that's not 100% healthy, but it's full of good stuff and not so full of the bad stuff like processed flour. It's also dairy free for those who are lactose intolerant or just don't have milk or butter on hand.
These cookies are a smash hit and are very similar to the ever so popular and fancy French Macaroon cookies. Here's how it goes.
2 egg whites at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup coconut
1. Set oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Beat egg whites until frothy (about 1 minute).
3. Slowly add sugar to egg whites (1 Tablespoon at a time) while the mixer is running on the fastest speed. Add salt.
4. Continue beating at high speed until whites reach stiff peak stage.
5. Remove mixers and fold in vanilla, chocolate chips, and coconut to the mixture.
6. Drop onto foil lined cookie sheets 1/2 inch apart and bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Open oven door to release some of the heat and then close it back up to let the cookies dry in the oven, preferably overnight.
Adding sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time to egg whites at high speed.
Egg white and sugar mixture are ready when stiff, glossy peaks form.
Place mixture onto foiled baking sheet. They can be very close together.
Ready to eat Meringue cookies!